Saturday, September 19, 2009

Censorship and an Art movement in the making

It's been a very productive day for The Keep. I completed 2 new works and found 2 more scribbled down on notebook paper that had been shoved into the drawer with all of the other Keep poems that didn't meet my expectations. I think I've come up with a direction to take the series.
In other news,
In response to the redundant shit-storm raining down on us that somehow passes as art these days, I've decided to spark a new art movement. It's a daunting task but I really feel up to it. There has go to be a new direction to take art that doesn't involve manga or painting with blood, or (God forbid) using your own fecal matter as a medium (Yes, it HAS happened). I think that if people had something new to do, then they'd eagerly move away from the cliches that they've trapped themselves into. Okay, so maybe smearing shit on a canvas isn't exactly mainstream "art" but I don't think we're too far away from seeing that happening.
To take art to another level, I believe we should look to the past and examine the elements used by the masters. Picasso, Van Gogh, Warhol, De Vinci, etc. These artists were ahead of their time, yeah? So why not study them and integrate their techniques into your own?
Explore the process of making art.
Reflect societies views back on them.
Break expectations.
I know it isn't politically correct to say so, but a lot of the crap posted on DA really shouldn't be considered art. I hate censorship as much as every other passionate artist, but I don't believe that spraying blue silly string on your girlfriends vagina should be considered art. Using "You're just trying to censor me" as an excuse is just that, an excuse.
I'm not endorsing censorship but I do think that it should be placed where it really needs to be. That is to say, at the idiots that take pictures of vulgar materiel just for the sake of being vulgar, people who color other peoples work and give themselves props for doing so, and/or people who insist on using cliche subject matter.
Censorship isn't going away and there's really not a whole lot we can do about it. What we can do however is try to redirect it to where it really belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment